- I worked in a large research department for AkzoNobel, a Fortune 500 company.
- For more on my work at AkzoNobel please see my résumé section.
- I was the antifouling expert advisor to the engineers on the Ocean Cleanup Project. I authored chapter 5.3, "Prevention and fighting of biofouling" in their 2014 Feasibility study. Here's their Ted Talk, you should watch it!
- My research has been published in academic journals:
- I was the invited author of a chapter entitled Settlement and Behaviour of Marine Fouling Organisms in the textbook "Biofouling",
- and the 100 page "Open Ocean" section of an online marine biology course currently offered by Newcastle University, entitled Delve Deeper
- I have peer reviewed several submissions for publication with Biofouling - The Journal of Bioadhesion and Biofilm Research and The Canadian Journal of Zoology.
- I have presented work at various national and international conferences:
- The 15th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling at Gateshead, U.K., 2010
- The 14th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling at Kobe, Japan, 2008
- The 13th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2006
- The 7th International Larval Biology Symposium at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology, U.S.A., 2006
- The 4th Annual Marine Biological Association Postgraduate Conference, University College Dublin, Ireland, 2006
- The 12th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling at Southampton University, U.K., 2004
- The 6th International Larval Biology Conference at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China, 2004
- The 2nd Annual Marine Biology Association Postgraduate Conference, University of Bangor School of Ocean Sciences, Wales, 2004
- The International Workshop on New Perspectives in Marine Biofouling and Biofouling Control at Kristineberg Marine Research Station, Sweden, 2003
- The University of Newcastle upon Tyne Post Graduate Conference 2003
- I was the organizer and host of